Okay, it has been a while. Longer than I thought since I last posted but here is something new.
I took an old Calculus book (and it is really old. Printed in '80) that I have had lying around and decided to alter it. It is a really good sized book with tons of potential as a journal/album/collage art book.
I cut out all but a quarter of the pages leaving about a 1/4 inch of the pages near the spine so that I can add in other paper pages if I want to. I then painted it a sand white color with some acrylic paint.
It is necessary to take out so many pages because as you alter/paint the ones left or add others the book will bulk right back up.
|See how I cut out random chunks of the pages. I did this through out the entire book.|
|I glued groups of three or four pages together to make thicker, tougher pages to paint/collage/alter.|
|All the pages glued. This took a while. Okay quite a while.|
|This is the big missing page gap I filled with the pocket.|
|Book with pocket in it.|
|Back inside cover.|
|I have been going through and giving a generic base paint in various colors throughout the book to ready the pages that are not patterned paper inserts to create a base from which to work.|
|Added some patterned card stock and paper. You can also see the pocket here.|
|Really simple outside and front cover. There is room for the recipient to still do more of course but if they choose not to it still looks finished.|
I am about half way through base painting the interior calc pages and inserting the patterned paper. I plan to put some mats, tags, and pockets for tags and notes in on random pages. I will probably write out a few questions and leave space to answer them. But for the most part this book will need its owner to really bring it to life.